FHMS PTSA Advocacy
The weekend of October 24& 25th our Legislative Chair Ria Schalnat and President Diane Devlyne-Thompson spent an energizing remote weekend participating in the Washington State PTA Legislative Assembly.
The purpose of legislative assembly is to determine the legislative priorities of WSPTA, educating and mobilizing advocates, and advancing WSPTA’s legislative program.
Throughout October, delegates learned about and caucused on proposed legislative issues, principles and resolutions. Then over the assembly weekend delegates voted on eight new legislative issues, one new legislative principle, eight new resolutions and one amendment to an existing resolution.
Here are the Top 5 Legislative Priorities for 2020-2022:
1. Increase Access to Nursing, Mental Health, and Social Emotional Learning Staff
2. Support Students and Preserve Education Funding
3. Increasing Educational Equity by Closing the Digital Divide
4. Supports and Funding for Students with Disabilities and their families
5. Prevent and Reduce Gun Violence and Suicide.
The remaining issues, Safe School Plans and Emergency Preparedness, Equitable Identification and Services for Highly Capable Students, and Mitigating the Adverse Impacts of Climate
For more information about Advocacy please reach out to the Finn Hill Middle School Advocacy Chair- Ria Schalnat